Amelia Boone is 33 years old, working as an attorney in California while also competing as pretty much a full time OCR athlete (Obstacle Course Racer). Since the sport's inception, she’s arguably the world's most decorated obstacle racer amassing more than 30 victories and 50 podiums!
Career highlights include:
- 3x winner of the World's Toughest Mudder (2012, 2014, 2015)
- Spartan Race World Champion 2013
- Spartan Race Points Series Champion (2013 & 2015)
- 3x Death Race Finisher (Winter 2012, Summer 2012, Summer 2013)
“I’m not the strongest. I’m not the fastest. But I’m really good at suffering.” – Amelia Boone
- Moving from Chicago to California and the benefits which came from it
- Getting Amelia to introduce herself
- Being a full time attorney and also a full time obstacle course racer
- Being sporty at school, but not being a typical runner
- Getting to spend time outside, playing team sports such as softball, and soccer
- Being good at everything but not the best at anything
- Why she thinks she's successful at endurance events
- Using the gym while at college and at law school to help deal with stress
- Learning about Tough Mudder and deciding to give it a go
- Her first Tough Mudder - going back and reliving the memories!
- Why she loved it and why she decided to do another one
- Trying to do her pull up and why the “funky money obstacle” was her big challenge
- Why you have to go after your first pull up!!
- Her most impulsive decision in her life and why she signing up for a 24hr Tough Mudder - The Worlds First!
- Looking for meaning and try to find a new challenge
- Using cross fit to develop strength
- Being one of the 13th finishers to finish the race out of 900 people
- Having to break through the ice & being the coldest she’d ever been and why this low point was also a high point and life changing for her!
- Why it’s a race but it’s still about the community
- Learning mental resilience and why it can be easy to get over whelmed by the size and length of the race
- Mental tips and tricks to get through the tough times
- Her favourite song which got her around the 2012 Tough Mudder Race!
- How the number of women entering races has changed over the years and why women should enter the longer races
- What’s she learned from running races and how she’s been able to apply it to her life
- Trying to get balance in her life!
- Waking up at 4 - 4.30 am!!!
- Coping with injury over the past year
- Why you have to find a new normal
- Losing her identity and going through a period of trying to work out who she was
- What she would like to see happen in 2017
- Dealing with the pressure she places on herself
- Words of advice & top tips
Learn more about Amelia by visiting her website!
Say hi to Amelia once you've listened to this episode on twitter! I'm @_TOUGH_GIRL
Support the Tough Girl Podcast and become a PATRON!!! Your financial support makes a big contribution to the running costs of the podcast - Please check out Patreon to see what goals I'm working towards and what rewards you can get for being a Patron!