Tiffany Coates has explored six continents by motorcycle, riding many hundreds of thousands of miles through countless countries during more than twenty years of adventurous journeys. Tiffany’s travels continue, both solo and through her work as a motorcycle tour guide, and her talks and presentations are always in demand at adventure travel events around the world.
Tiffany began her very first motorcycle trip with her best friend, riding two-up, reaching the ground on tip-toe on a quarter-tonne BMW called ‘Thelma’.
Having recently passed their tests they had just two months of riding experience between them when they set off. Breaking bones, doing bad Abba impressions, and reading maps upside down, they wobbled out of the UK and across Europe all the way to India.
That first journey was supposed to last nine months, but once they reached Delhi, they found they couldn’t stop and so they ended up crossing four continents and staying on the road (or trail!) for two and a half years. Tiffany was well and truly bitten by the motorcycle travelling bug.
- Her passion for travel and her desire to see the world
- How it all started
- Deciding to go overland to India via motorbike
- Learning to ride a motorbike in London
- Filtering through traffic
- Crossing Europe
- Crossing into Iran and what it was like
- Crossing through Pakistan
- Reaching India
- Deciding to carry on the adventure
- Heading down to South East Asia
- Ending up in Sydney and running out of money
- Working 3 jobs to save money for the trip home
- Deciding to go home via Africa!
- Being able to pick the bike up while on her own
- Wanting to share the experiences with someone else
- Reaching out to her friend Maggie
- The challenges of riding through Africa
- Making a career of giving up jobs
- Being a frugal traveller and making money last a long time
- The reason why behind the motorcycle journey’s
- Solitude or loneliness
- What happens when something goes wrong
- Dealing with sexism
- Handling stress
- Ride with Tiffany
- Being a free lance tour guide
- A book?
- WRWR - Women Riders World Relay
- Final words of advice