Sophie in her own words:
“I am a solicitor and mum of one, currently pregnant with my second. I’m a runner, outdoor swimmer, paddle boarder and host of the What Next Mum Podcast.
I have been running for 12 years and have run plenty of half and full marathons.
When I had my son I had a real fear that I would lose my identity as a runner but that hasn’t been the case.
Since having him I cycled the 100 mile ride London 4 months post birth and ran a one day 100km/62 mile race.
Since then I have continued to do my own self made running adventures, including running the Jurassic Coast over 3 days, the West Mendip Way and running along the Wye Valley.
I started the What Next Mum Podcasts, so I could talk to like minded women and share their stories to inspire other mums to ditch the mum guilt and get out there.
I am also a keen outdoor swimmer, this is my fifth winter. I’m a rubbish swimmer but love being in the water and will be swimming to the Isle of Wight in September."
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Make sure you hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is being sponsored throughout March by Inov-8.
to get your 20% discount on all trainers and running gear. —>> www.inov-8.com
Get involved with the #MarchDailyMile Challenge. Run 1 mile everyday in March.
- Who is Sophie
- Being pregnant with her 2nd child
- Being an outdoor enthusiast
- Getting pregnant at 40
- Feeling a little bit anxious
- Growing up in a large family
- Liking running at school
- Turning 16 and dropping all sports
- Moving to Japan for 3 years
- Starting work as a solicitor and taking up running again
- Her running journey
- Being encouraged to get into running
- Identifying as a runner only recently
- Getting into trail running
- Stopping and starting with running
- Life in her 20s
- Needing time for herself after her first child was born
- Training for a 100k/62 mile race in a day
- Being told she didn’t need to finish the race
- The challenges of running 100k in a day
- Trying to enjoy the day as much as possible
- Giving birth…
- Getting back into running
- Using the bike for cross training
- Starting the What Next Mum Podcast
- Wanting to connect with other mum runners
- Finding time during lockdown
- Why it’s ok for mums to put themselves first
- Mum guilt
- Having a good support network
- The power of support from other women
- Running with her brother Bob
- Nutrition and eating while ultra running
- Trying to stay away from sugar
- Carrying gear in a 25L bag
- Structuring the day
- Magical moments on trips and type 2 fun!
- Getting in to FKTs (Fastest Knowns Times)
- Being less interested in racing
- Wanting to run the Isle of White Coast Path
- Working with a coach and using a 16 week training plan
- Getting some new ideas for training
- Cold water swimming while pregnant
- Running while pregnant and supporting the bump
- How to connect with Sophie
- Final words of advice
Facebook: What Next Mum Podcast
The Tough Girl Podcast is being sponsored by Inov-8
Use TOUGHGIRL20 to get your 20% discount on all trainers and running gear.
Get involved with the #MarchDailyMile Challenge.