During a journey to Nepal and the Himalayas, she first began to dream about climbing the world’s highest mountain herself. And – following four years of preparation – she accomplished the feat of becoming the first Swedish and Czech woman to reach the summit.
In 2005. Renata boarded her sea kayak at the quay in Lake Union in central Seattle. This was the beginning of an almost unbelievable adventure, circumnavigating the coast of the USA in 439 days, mostly in her kayak. The day on which she completed her journey, 15 September, has since been designated as ”Renata Chlumska Day” in Seattle.
For Renata, the thrills of adventure surpass the extreme efforts during her expeditions. The preparation process is a vital part of each new challenge: planning, financing, training, and getting the right equipment and teams together.
After each successful challenge, she focuses on the evaluation, documentation and use of her experiences to inspire others, not least as a very popular lecturer and speaker for companies and organizations, as well as schools, clubs and associations.
To Renata, a challenge does not have to be about climbing mountains or journeying into space. Adventure is always waiting around the corner, if you can recognise and accept it.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Make sure you hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The tough girl podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons. To find out more about supporting your favourite podcast and becoming a patron please check out www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
- Who is Renata
- Her dreams as a little girl
- Liking the outdoors and nature
- Her first solo adventure
- Being involved in a Swedish Mt Everest Expedition in 1996 as part of the film team
- Building connections
- Spending the Spring Season in 1996 at Everest Base Camp
- Wanting to go higher and to see more
- Not being able to resist the mountains
- Female role models in mountaineering
- Starting climbing in 1995
- Learning new skills
- Cycling from Nepal to Sweden
- Getting to know someone while you travel
- Cycling in India, Pakistan, China, Russia & Finland
- Cycling without tech and being off the grid
- No news is good news!
- Turning her passion for adventure into a career
- Becoming a professional adventurer
- Climbing Mt Everest at 25 years old
- Adventure blues?
- Why climbing Mt. Everest was just the start
- Circumnavigation of the lover 48 states
- Doing the challenge solo
- Losing the love of her life
- Having something to look forward to
- Having a reason to get out of bed in the morning
- Figuring out the logistics of the challenge
- Kayaking down the Pacific Coast
- Advice for those going through a tough situation
- Putting her focus on safety
- What’s going through her head
- Future Astronaut with Virgin Galactic
- Paying for the ticket
- Future dreams and goals
- What would you like to do?
- Starting to learn how to sail
- Having children and how it’s impacted on her career
- Climbing 6 of the 7 summits in 5 months
- Getting back into climbing again
- Don’t compare when it comes to adventures
- Final words of advice and why you should believe in yourself
- Write down your dreams and break them down into smaller and more manageable pieces