Kristen (she/her) is originally from Toronto and has been living in the Northwest Territories for nearly four years.
Kristen is a former journalist that enjoys writing about social issues and outdoor lifestyles.
When she's not cooking delicious meals, Kristen can be found exploring the Northwest Territories and promoting diversity in outdoor spaces with her organization Amplify Outdoors.
About Amplify Outdoors:
“Amplify Outdoors was established to elevate and encourage diversity in outdoor spaces. Recognizing a lack of representation of people of colour (POC) and marginalized groups in marketing campaigns geared towards outdoor lifestyle, Amplify Outdoors hopes to change existing narratives that perpetuate societal stereotypes about 'who' should enjoy nature and 'who' is considered outdoorsy.
Amplify Outdoors believes that representation is important, and we strive to provide products that empower and amplify diversity in outdoor landscapes and activities.
Ultimately, our goal is for outdoor spaces to be inclusive and safe for everyone to enjoy, because 'Nature is for Everyone’."
Listen to Kristen now!
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday and Thursday 7am UK time - Hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons.
Support the mission to increase the amount of female role models in the media. Visit www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
and subscribe - super quick and easy to do and it makes a massive difference. Thank you.
- Who is Kristen
- Relocating to the Northwest Territories in Canada (the subarctic)
- Making the decision to make a change in her life
- Growing up in Toronto
- Being a city girl at heart
- Not being given the opportunity to spend time outdoors hiking and camping
- Wanting a more laid back lifestyle and a slower pace of life
- Looking for a new job
- Moving to Yellowknife
- Wanting to take advantage of the opportunity
- Wanting to have new experiences
- Moving in January
- Going with the flow of life
- The transition from the city to the country
- Being shocked at how expensive housing was
- Getting use to the darkness
- Creating a routine and making new friends
- Her first experience with hiking and spending time outdoors
- Wanting to bring people with her on the journey
- Feeling the power of nature and the benefits for her mind
- Seeing the beauty in nature
- Documenting her journey
- The women who inspire Kristen
- Matthew Henson - 1st person and first Black man to reach the North Pole
- Founding Amplify Outdoors and what’s its goal and purpose is
- Building a supportive community
- Looking to create more events in 2022
- Advice for Black women for getting into the outdoors
- Acknowledging the barriers for Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC) who want to go outdoors
- Why you should start slow
- Nature makes me feel….
- Chasing waterfalls
- How you can connect with Kristen
- Plans for the future
Amplify Outdoors. 𝙉𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙀𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚. 𝐀𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞, 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐫𝐬