Nocciola The Drawer (Hazel Oakes) is an artist and designer from the UK. She has lived in 8 different countries, visited almost 40 countries between 5 continents. She’s hiked the peaks of the Balkans, completed half marathons and the Athen’s marathon.
Hazel is military trained and has a joy for life, for sharing and inspiring other women to become more adventurous.
Hazel has a nomadic spirit and feels her sense of community with women anywhere in the world.
She specialises in bright, colourful, bold artwork that combines female characters with lively patterns. All with the aim to uplift, inspire, empower and celebrate women.
She is inspired by the seasons, women, childlike imagination, travel, making the most of the moment, street art and graffiti. She spends her time illustrating, creating large murals and drawing on anything (paper, canvas, plates, walls).
Nocciola The Drawer is spreading her joy of life one splash of colour at a time!
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons.
Support the mission to increase the amount of female role models in the media. Visit www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
and subscribe - super quick and easy to do and it makes a massive difference. Thank you.
- Who is Hazel
- Being based in Italy at the moment
- Her aims and goals
- Spreading her joy for life - one splash of colour at a time!
- Wanting to move her body and to follow her passions
- Being a creative explorer
- Where her passion for art and adventure came from
- Getting her creative side from her mum
- Getting her adventurous side from her dad
- Doing all the dance classes from a young age
- Her teenage years - and the pressure to get a normal job
- Loving art at school
- Wanting to learn about fashion design
- Joining the Officer Training Core OTC
- Following both of her passions
- The next step in her career
- Deciding to do a Masters course at Kingston University
- Working with brides and helping them to feel comfortable in their bodies
- Wanting more adventure and booking a one way ticket to Australia
- The different pathways and journeys that can be taken
- Spending time in Australia!
- Loving to travel and spending time in Canada and Italy
- What does Adventure mean to Hazel
- The why and the how of challenge
- The power of taking small steps
- Don’t compare yourself to how other people have done it
- Living a nomadic lifestyle
- Taking advantage of the travel opportunities that become available
- Getting to know a new place
- Her love for walking and exploring
- Peaks of the Balkans
- Working as a trip manger in Italy
- Taking on new challenges every few years
- Dealing with the heat
- Why Nocciola? What it means
- Being a full time artist…
- Tips for being more creative
- Curiosity and amazement
- The Tough Girl Mural and how it came about
- Follow Hazel on line
- Future plans for 2022
- Top tips and advice to motivate and inspire you