Fiona Oakes is a British marathon runner, who holds three world records for marathon running. In 2013, she won both the Antarctic Ice Marathon and the North Pole Marathon. She runs despite losing a knee cap from an illness when she was 17.
At 48, she holds three world records, including becoming the fastest woman to run seven marathons in seven continents, plus the north pole, with an aggregate time of 31 hours 11 mins and 53 secs.
- Why Fiona describes herself as an animal advocate
- Going vegetarian at 3 years old in the 1970s
- Becoming vegan at 6 years old and her passion for animals
- Becoming an advocate for animals and needing a platform to speak out
- Where the running came from
- Working in London and coming from a cycling background
- Starting to jog to keep fit
- Not having a knee cap!!
- Considering herself as an amateur runner (even though running a 2.38 marathon!)
- Working out everything for herself
- Having determination and grit, but no talent…
- Deciding to go after ultras such as Marathon des Sables
- Running in pain
- The London marathon and training for it - and why you have to be brave to run a marathon
- Fitting training into her life - getting up at 3.30 am
- Her running routine to run a 2.38 marathon
- The magic for moving up a level in running - SPEED WORK!!
- Signing on to be available for the fire service
- Diet and why it is not a priority
- Not taking supplements, no gels or recovery drinks
- Vegan marshmallows!
- Eating one meal a day and not snacking
- Why she focuses on her feet
- Being on a very tight budget both financial and time wise
- Stomach problems while running
- Her most magical race
- The Marathon des Sables
- Being invited to run the North Pole Marathon!
- Learning a lot about herself while running
- Vegan running club
- 4 Deserts Grand Slam!
- How you can help and support!
Fiona Oakes Foundation -http://fionaoakesfoundation.co.uk/about/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fionaoakes/
Twitter - @Marathonfiend
Tower Hill Stables Animal Sanctuary - http://www.towerhillstables.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/towerhillstables
Twitter - @towerhillstable