Meaghan is a Canadian writer and ultra-endurance cyclist whose two-wheeled adventures have taken her from Haida Gwaii to Mexico’s high plateaus, across Canada and the United States, and from North Cape to Tarifa along some of Europe’s highest paved roads.
She is a Trans Am Bike Race, NorthCape4000, and Paris-Brest-Paris brevet finisher, as well as the 2019 24-Hour World Time Trial Champion and current course record holder in the women’s division.
In 2021, Meaghan took the overall win in the 2021 BC Epic 1000 and landed on the podium of the Alberta-Rockies 700.
Her debut travel memoir, "South Away: The Pacific Coast on Two Wheels" (NeWest Press, 2019) was shortlisted for a two Canadian book awards.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Subscribe so you don’t miss out.
- Who is Meaghan
- Living in British Colombia, Canada
- Being on a journey of self discovery
- Her love of sports and competing
- Being into sports from a young age
- Her love of full contact sports
- Discovering more solo sports and getting into long distance cycling
- Structuring her life around the things that she loves
- The women who have inspired Meaghan
- Being inspired by Lael Wilcox
- Taking on the Trans Am Bike Race across America 2017
- Having the courage to sign up for the race
- Training and getting strong for spending long days on the bike
- Getting her first Bivvy bag
- Getting prepared for the race
- Mental resilience and mental grit and the new lessons that have been learned
- Having fears and insecurities and being worried about the race
- Why showing up to the start line is a massive win
- Taking the pressure off and focusing on the fun
- Book: How bad do you want it?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle By Matt Fitzgerald
- Building up her own toolkit of resilience tips and tricks
- Dealing with sleep deprivation
- The balance between suffering and having fun
- How her training has evolved over the years
- Investing in an indoor smart trainer (Wahoo Kickr)
- Focusing on short intense indoor rides and long rides outside
- How many bikes?!
- Rest and recovery and injury prevention
- Getting into a good routine
- North Cape 4000 Race
- Setting goals and having a race strategy around sleeping for 4hrs each night
- Food and nutrition while on the bike
- Advice for women who want to sign up for a new challenge
- Having people around you who support you
- Magical moments and feelings of joy while cycling
- Connect with Meaghan
- Writing her book: South Away: The Pacific Coast on Two Wheels
- Plans for 2022
- Her aim of being - consistently consistent
*Shortlisted for the Sixth Annual Rakuten Kobo Emerging Writer Prize - Nonfiction Category & Shortlisted for Best Trade Non-Fiction at the 2020 Book Publishing Awards!