Hetty in her own words:
I live for adventure. Being outdoors is more than a hobby to me - I thrive on it, rely on it and couldn’t imagine life without it. When I am not out exploring, I'm usually planning or daydreaming of my next adventure - which could be anything from a weekend running around my local hills to some epic endurance event or obscure challenge further afield.
I love pushing myself both physically and mentally to find my limit. I can't explain quite why this is, but I have often found this is when you discover amazing things about yourself. I am not naturally talented or gifted - in fact, at school, I was once told I would never make a long distance runner. I have achieved what I have from having big dreams, being slightly stubborn and working hard! My main inspiration and drive come from loving what I am doing and the environment I am in - whatever the weather.
I want to find adventure. See beautiful places only accessible from sheer human effort. I’d like to climb mountains and at the end of the day sit back with a beer, totally worn out, and watch the stars. I’d love to run, bike and climb all over the world!
I might be a relatively ordinary individual but believe me, I am determined to make an impact in every way I can.
New episodes every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Make sure you hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The tough girl podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons. To find out more about supporting your favourite podcast and becoming a patron please check out www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
- Who is Hetty
- Growing up in the Peak District, UK
- Not being good at sports
- Her dreams and wanting to ride for Great Britain
- Struggling to fit everything in
- Making the transition from riding horses into the outdoors
- Starting with google
- Wanting to get into climbing and mountain biking
- Loving to push and challenge herself
- Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3 FUN!
- Her passion for the mountains
- Setting up her website and personal blog
- Wanting to support women in the middle ground of adventure
- Female role models in the adventure space
- Being able to see what other women are doing
- Wanting to understand more about women in the outdoors by starting - Women in Adventure
- The first survey from Women in Adventure - Inspiration and Barriers
- The second survey from Women in Adventure - Mental Well-Being
- What’s next for Women in Adventure
- The Women’s Trad Festival based in the Peak District
- What Trad climbing is
- Loving the headspace of climbing
- Climbers Like Me
- The values and mission of the festival
- Less Plastic would be Fantastic
- The mental health challenges in 2020
- Why we need the data
- Being even more passionate
- An exciting new project… creating a historic global event to bring people together
- The One Run Global Challenge - 10th December 2020 - 7pm Local Time
- “Love is a human right and no one should be hated for who they are”
- Not always getting the balance right
- Being a big fan of the to do list and keeping things simple
- Next challenge… small and big!
- All Points North
- Final words of advice and top tips
Women In Adventure - Women in Adventure aims to narrow the data gap surrounding women and the outdoors. Through research, we want to increase participation, improve diversity and widen the accessibility of the outdoors for women.
Women Trad Festival - Women's Trad Festival is a trad climbing festival in the Peak District, bridging the gap between indoor and outdoor climbing. We support, connect and inspire climbers of all abilities, ages and genders.