Genny is aiming to be the first Aruban to ski to the North and South Poles to raise awareness on the devastating effects of Lyme Disease.
Genny was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in the summer of 2016 after suffering from its debilitating effects and misdiagnosis for three harrowing years. She went from being a fit and active person to being so fatigued that she was bed bound for months.
A few years on from diagnosis, Genny has recovered and become passionate about making diagnosis affordable, available and prompt in the UK, where she now lives. She is determined that no one else should suffer as she did.
Genny is excited and a little bit nervous about the challenge of skiing to the South Pole. She hopes to inspire others to aim high, dream big, work hard, and never settle for someone else’s interpretation of what they can achieve.
As the first Aruban woman to attempt such a feat, Genny sees it as an honour to represent her home country and inspire others to pursue their dreams.
We first spoke with Genny on - 26th January 2021. You can listen here: https://www.toughgirlchallenges.com/single-post/genny-brown
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Subscribe so you don’t miss out.
You can support the mission to increase the amount of female role models in the media. Visit www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast Thank you.
- Who is Genny
- Moving to the UK, 15 years ago
- Her training to ski solo and unsupported to the South Pole in late 2024/25
- Speaking to Genny on the TGP in January 26th 2021
- What’s been going on since we last spoke
- Coming to realise how much there is still to learn
- The beginning of 2021
- Starting to make plans for 2022 with regards to training
- Needing to get more on ice experience
- Heading to Norway for training
- Working with Helen Turton from Newland Expeditions
- Getting physical fit by pulling tyres in the UK
- Knowing her tent mate - Ellen aka @randogirl42
- Wanting to dedicate her life to polar pursuits
- Needing to get her act together and getting more sponsors
- Developing uterine fibroids and how they impacted on her quality of life
- Needing to have surgery to remove the uterine fibroids.
- The recovery period after her surgery
- Putting a plan in place with help from Helen
- Needing to do more bespoke training and doing a mini solo expedition on her own
- Needing to test new equipment out in the cold
- Cold weather management
- Getting back into the gym and building back her strength again
- Underestimating how long it took to recover
- Building back up her confidence
- The start of 2023
- Doing her basic polar training course in Norway
- Having to face her fears and overcome them
- Needing to work on her mindset
- Continuing to show up for herself and doing all the right things
- Making the best of the situation and focusing on her camp craft
- Putting a lot of pressure on herself to be perfect
- Woking with a therapist to identify the reasons why her fear had occurred
- Hillenberg Tent
- The challenges of solo expeditions
- Dealing with the negative thoughts and learning to enjoy the journey
- Taking the time to unplug
- Being by yourself and spending time with your own thoughts
- Plans for the rest of 2023
- Focusing on sponsorship
- Making progress over the past few years
- Wanting to learn to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations
- Wanting to develop her mountaineering skills
- Planning for 2024 and what needs to be done to achieve her polar goal
- How to connect with Genny
- Final words of advice for other women who want to pursue their big dream
- Stop holding yourself back
- Needing to factor in rest and recovery
Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/f/expedition-kit-for-genny-brown-antarctic-aruban