In late summer 2021 Abbie Barnes cycled from Dunnet Head and John O Groats to The Lizard Point and Lands End, via each of the UK's 15 National Parks and their highest peaks.
This epic 55 day expedition saw Abbie and her partner Anna (who drove the support van) travel over 2,000 miles and battle mental ill health, chronic pain, and a number of unanticipated life-challenges along the way. Yet the duo completed this life-changing venture and now have a 3-part film series on YouTube following the highs and lows of their journey.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out.
- Who is Abbie and what she does
- We first spoke with Abbie Aug 26, 2021 - Founder and director of Spend More Time In The WILD, an organisation that seeks to inspire and empower individuals to get outside.
- What is Abbie Bikes Britain?
- Expectations verses reality
- Having 3 months to plan
- The logistical nightmare
- Figuring out things as they went
- Developing a mindset of curiosity
- Learning the lessons when things don’t go to plan
- Dealing with chronic pain during the cycle ride
- What being an advocate for mental health and chronic pain
- Not being willing to sit still and suffer
- Being crushed by the pain
- Why pushing your body can be a fun experiment
- Day to day life on the road
- Mental health while on the road
- Being in love with life and feeling so happy
- Finishing the journey
- Not having the time to digest what she’d achieved
- Finishing on the 22nd October 2021
- What the remainder of the year looked like
- Having an on season (March - Oct) and an off season (Nov - Feb)
- Having the time to think and reflect
- Implementing changes in 2022
- Being a public figure and feeling burnt out
- Spending time in the panic zone and wanting to get back to the comfort zone
- Getting her Mountain Leader Qualification
- Doing her Hill and Moorland Qualification
- Doing her ML assessment in Snowdonia in April 2022
- Plans for 2023
- How to connect with Abbie
- Watch me & Abbie while climbing Snowdon
- Abbie meeting me in Rhosneigr while I was on the Wales Coast Path - vlog 11/50
- Final words of advice to encourage you to get outdoors