Zahrah is a Muslim woman of South Asian heritage, who lives in Scotland. Zahrah got into hiking three years ago when a friend took her out for a walk to reduce the stress of her chartered accountant exams. Zahrah shares her walks on instagram where she is know as @the_hillwalking_hijabi.
Zahrah is passionate about getting people outdoors, she share her walks and hopes others will be inspired to give it a go. Zahrah especially wants to help encourage other Muslim women to spend time outdoors, so that they too can experience the physical and mental benefits which she enjoys.
During this episode Zahrah shares more about how she got into walking, what it was like taking on Ben Nevis and what keeps her motivated when things get tough, she also shares more about the benefits that she has enjoyed from spending time outside.
You can listen to Zahrah on the Tough Girl Podcast, new episodes are every Tuesday at 7am UK time!
- Getting into hill walking
- What it was like going into the hills for the first time
- Not getting hooked straight away
- The relief of making it to the top
- Chatting about gear
- Gaining confidence in the hills
- Getting support from the online community
- Dealing with stereotypes in the hills
- Sharing her stories on Instagram
- Keeping motivated when things get tough
- How hillwalking has helped with self confidence and stress
- Going through a divorce
- Climbing Ben Nevis
- Maintaining fitness
- Quick Fire Questions
- Final words of advice