Yui is an educator, writer, and accomplished traveller who has been to more than 200 countries and territories, including Antarctica and the Arctic.
In 2017 she made history by becoming the first Asian woman to visit every sovereign country in the world. She also holds the record for being the first Singaporean to have visited all United Nations member states.
Her work centers around the use of language and she has a particular interest in world language families and comparative linguistics. She has knowledge of over twenty world languages, many of which are written in a non-Latin script.
A keen advocate of education as a means of empowerment, Yui is also the founder of a non-profit that supports education and other causes in developing countries.
Listen to Yui as she shares her story on the Tough Girl Podcast.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Make sure you hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons. To find out more about supporting your favourite podcast and becoming a patron please check out www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
- Who is Yui
- Her early life and family travel trips
- Being encouraged to try adventure sports
- Having a desire to explore the world
- Working with languages
- Gap years….
- Starting to travel while at University
- The goal of travelling to every country in the world
- Wanting to see as much of the world as possible
- Being motivated by curiosity
- Planning trips around time and budget
- Being self funded
- Making travel a priority
- Travelling solo and the lessons learned
- The more challenging countries to travel to
- Being mindful of the more high risk countries and taking appropriate precautions
- Visiting Afghanistan
- Wanting to spend more time in Iceland
- visiting the DRC - the Democratic Republic of Congo
- The issues of getting a visa
- Travelling on a Singapore passport
- Finishing the challenge
- Starting a non-profit
- Travel post covid
- Future travel goals
- Follow on social media
- Words of advice for future travellers