In today’s podcast we catch up with Susie Cheetham who’s a professional triathlete and came 6th at the Iron Man World Championships in 2015.
Susie provides advice, top tips and tactics for all aspects of the race from the the swim, cycle, run and how to make the transitions work best for you.
Susie shares her first experience of fitness at a young age and how by deciding to join a running club, it's changed the whole direction of her life.
We also discuss the following:-
- The importance of trying new sports and seeing what works for you.
- Getting back to basics - what’s involved in a Half Ironman and how her first experience went.
- Discussing some of the myths that surround an Ironman - from drinking coke on the run to it being boring!
- How to choose what advice to listen to and what advice to ignore.
- Learning to take confidence in the decisions you make - for triathlons and for life.
- The high points for Susie during an Ironman, as well as the low points and how she deals with them. From punctures on the side of the road to receiving a time penalty for dangerous riding.
- How your mental attitude can change throughout the course and how having the right attitude can impact on your race.
- Susie shares her tips on mental toughness preparation especially in the toughest races like Kona.
- How to cope when your mind takes you to dark place during the race.
- Advice, tactics and top tips for the open water swim for both experienced swimmers and novice swimmers.
- Pacing lines, overtaking and tactics for the cycle part of the race
- How you can have the best transition for you!
- Advice and tips for the run section and why being comfortable is so important for having your best race.
- Learn more about the Iron Nun and why age is just a number!
You can learn more about Susie by visiting her website, and she's also on Twitter @SusieCheetham
Are you training for a triathlon? Want to learn more? Then listen to Helen Russell (World Champion Duathlete & Triathlete) and Gale Bernhardt (USA Olympic Triathlon Team & Olympic Cycling Coach) on the Tough Girl Podcast!
Come and say hello to me on twitter! @_TOUGH_GIRL
If you’ve enjoyed this episode then please tell a friend and share on your social media. Help to spread the word about the Tough Girl Podcast!
To keep unto date on how my training for the Marathon des Sables is going visit www.toughgirlchallenges.com