Kathryn is an author of three books as well as producing and directing her debut documentary film: HALF THE ROAD: The passion, pitfalls & power of women’s professional cycling.
During this podcast we discuss a variety of different topics from the books she's written, why she’s so passionate about road cycling, as well as women’s equality in sports and her plans for the future.
We also discuss the following:
- Why she decided to take up the sport of triathlon before moving over into road cycling at the age of 31.
- Landing her first professional contract for cycling at age 36.
- How one assignment from ESPN changed the direction of her life forever.
- Attempting a variety of different Olympic Sports from modern pentathlon, open water swimming, to team handball.
- We talk about racing on the road and the different tactics involved from the peloton - to what it is, how it works as well as tactics for mountain climbs
- Her career highlight bringing parity to women’s professional road cycling, starting with getting women racing Le Tour Entier during the Tour de France.
- Explaining why women are still not allowed to race in the Tour de France.
- We discuss her powerful documentary film - Half the Road - Which is not just about cycling but also equality.
- “Why we are all capable of change” and why we need to be the ones asking for and making that change.
- The three books she’s written and how they represent her collective journey she's taken over the years.
- What life is like as a pro racer and her plans for her 5th and final year. She gives an insight into her training and how she tailors it specifically to suit her and her age.
- We discuss why rest and recovery are so important and why you're only as good as your rest.
- Why women continue to get better and better with age, especially for endurance events- and why age is just a number!
- She shares with us her future goals and challenges for 2016 and why giving yourself permission to be happy and living in the moment is so important.
Learn more about - Half the Road by visiting the website www.halftheroad.com
Learn more about Kathryn - http://www.kathrynbertine.com
Come and say hi on twitter!!
@KathrynBertine @halftheroad @_TOUGH_GIRL
You can listen to the Tough Girl Podcast via iTunes, Soundcloud or Stitcher.
Please take a minute to subscribe and to leave a review in iTunes!
New Episodes every Tuesday at 7 am. #ToughGirlTuesday
Have a fantastic week! Sarah x