Tayo is The Five to Nine Traveller who believes life is more than your 9 to 5. As an adventuring enthusiast she is always on the hunt for adventure both local & global and loves to share her stories to inspire the same in you!
She truly believes adventure is what you make it so you can find her hiking up some mountain or discovering the latest immersive cultural experience in the city.
Tayo in her own words:
My name is Tayo and I am just a regular gal with a job (oh the inconvenience) who exhibits off the scale delight when she travels and explores! I love travelling as it appeals to my inner childhood of being an explorer and finding something new in my surroundings, be it in the city I live or a new destination. As a child I was an avid reader of The Famous Five by Enid Blyton who were always on adventures and I was always exploring around the estate where I grew up.
Travelling for me is a collection of interactions, memories and personal development, and tells me more about the world I live in. Some of my most vivid memories from travelling are moments I reflect on and smile, like seeing the gorgeous sunsets over Oxford city to meeting Frank in Cuba who kindly gave me a hat made of local leaves (which I still have to this day and use for fancy dress!)
Blogging is my outlet to share my eclectic narratives and photos of the beautiful world I get to see, packed full of adventure! The main thing though is that I hope it inspires you to go out there and have an adventure even with your 9 to 5!
Not all travels have to be in far flung exotic places
(although that is fun too!)
And who says who have to jack it all in to travel?
That’s what makes me The 5 to 9 Traveller!
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
- Who is Tayo
- Working as a pharmacist
- Growing up in Newcastle
- Her early years
- Being connected to her Nigerian heritage
- Learning more about her family history
- Being a curious child
- Heading back to visit Nigeria
- Not taking a gap year after school
- Deciding to start her blog at the end of 2015
- Being inspired by Travel Noire
- Not really knowing what blogs were
- Not telling anyone about her blog
- Using her blog as a creative outlet
- What adventure means to Tayo
- Being willing to have her mind opened to the new around her
- Deciding on where to go travelling
- Spending time in South Africa and Brazil
- Having a wanderlist
- Traveling solo and travelling with other people
- Doing a summer placement in America
- 2019 spending time in South America
- Making the decision to go travelling
- Telling her parents about her trip
- Making sure she had a reason to come back
- Wanting to learn Spanish
- Need to get the balance between adventure and routine
- Making changes to hair
- Travelling on buses in South America
- Visiting Machu Picchu
- Dealing with Covid
- Loving travelling and loving to learn
- How to connect with Tayo
- Final words of advice
- Making time for travel
- The joy of starting off small and staying local.