Tiphaine in her own words:
"My name is Tiphaine, I’m from France and since I was a child my parents took me backpacking in other continents. They’ve opened me to the world. After three years of studies to obtain my Specialized Educator diploma, I felt the urge to explore more of this planet. I went to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa for a year. The adventures I’ve experienced there made me reconsider my whole perspective on life.
Inspired by my short cycling trips in Australia and New Zealand, I bought a bicycle and left, in June 2017, on my 23rd birthday. I started from my home in Paris, without a real plan, without a final destination and ended up cycling 20,000 km in 14 months, half of it with Martin (@hi.martin.cycles
This trip, more than any others, showed me that dreams can come true and that travelling is a matter of motivation. Since then, I dare to live a different life, “unstable”, full of changes, adventures, experiences, that make me who I am today.”
Listen to Tiphaine on the tough girl podcast.
New episodes go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons.
Support the mission to increase the amount of female role models in the media. Visit www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
and subscribe - super quick and easy to do and it makes a massive difference. Thank you.
- Who is Tiphaine
- Wanting some adventure
- Deciding to head to Australia on a working holiday
- Wanting to continue living this different lifestyle
- Her younger years and spending time backpacking with her family
- Not being afraid of travelling solo
- Having a plan verses being more flexible and playing things by ear
- Wanting to join the Civil Service in France
- Rethinking her whole perspective on life
- Realising how little you need to be happy
- Coming back to Paris after 15 months of travelling
- Not knowing what to do next
- Paying for her cycle trip and saving up money
- Why its cheap to travel by bike
- Keeping costs down while on the road
- Leaving Paris on her 23rd Birthday
- The route and the plan
- Meeting Martin in Africa @hi.martin.cycles and deciding to cycle across the Sahara together
- Using Warmshowers in Europe
- Wanting to explore more of Africa and heading to East Africa for 7 months
- Dealing with elephants close to the tent!
- Resupply and accommodation in Africa
- Route planning and the challenging in Europe
- Trying to pick the nicer routes and avoiding the main roads
- Maintaining the bike on a long journey
- Not knowing how to change a flat tyre at the start
- Buying a simple bike for 450 EURO
- Learning new skills on the road
- Writing her first e-book: Little Miss Pedals: 20,000 km on a bicycle through Europe and Africa
- Final words of advice to encourage you to take on your own challenge or adventure.
- Why it’s worth it!