Seanna in her own words:
“I am Seanna (pronounced like Shauna) and I am deep into my healing journey. I am a survivor of multiple severe traumas and some debilitating psychosis. I have been to some of the darkest places and led a very limited life for some time.
As well as medication and therapy, I have found that carving out an intentional life and staying true to my values has helped me to not only survive, but truly thrive. After spending two months as an inpatient in a trauma clinic, I discovered embodied healing practices, and later qualified as a breathwork facilitator.
I aim to live a life that is aligned with who I am, focusing on physical, mental, emotional and spiritual wellbeing as well as a life full of adventure.
In 2022, I thru hiked the Israel National Trail over two months on my own, which is over 1,000 km. The inner journey was even more powerful than the tangible one, and now I give talks on overcoming adversity and being guided by intuition to live your best, most intentional life.”
- Content Warning - During this episode; mental health, trauma, self harm, dark thoughts and psychosis is discussed.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Subscribe so you don’t miss out.
You can support the Tough Girl mission to increase the amount of female role models in the media - especially in relation to adventure and physical challenge by signing up as a patron. www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast. Thank you.
- Who is Seanna?
- Being on an 8 month sabbatical
- Recording this from Vietnam
- Having an adventurous spirit but not fitting into games
- Not liking any type of game (sports, board games etc)
- Joining the Army Cadets
- Taking 2 gap years to travel
- Being concerned about what other people thought of her
- Being a competitive cheerleader and competing in the world championships in Florida
- Booking a flight to Arctic Sweden to walk a small section of the Kungsleden Trail (The Kings Trail)
- The joys of spending time in nature and how it makes her feel
- Her running journey and signing up for her first marathon at 19 on the South Downs
- Being ill aged 21/22
- Giving up smoking in 2012 and starting to run again
- Doing her first Ultra Marathon - 50km on the Thames Path Challenge
- Biting off more than she can chew, not feeling ready - and why it’s ok to try your best and just muddle through.
- Running for Joy
- Feeling her feelings
- Training for the Thames Path Challenge with running coach Toby - IG
- Queer Running Club
- Struggling with consistency
- Running with her mum and step dad
- Magical moments while running
- Deciding to take a sabbatical and the planning for her time off
- Spending 2 months in a trauma clinic in 2018
- Being inspired to hike the Israel National Trail
- Making the decision and how it felt right
- Feeling difficult emotions but knowing how to feel them and cope with them in a sensible way
- Not feeling ready to leave the trauma clinic
- Planning during the covid lockdowns
- The Israel National Trail
- Getting water on the trail and arranging water drops
- Dealing with flash flood warnings and the dangers of hiking during those times
- The Red Guide Book - The full guide to the Israel National Trail - Fourth Edition, 2020
- Not feeling safe putting her tent up and not listening to her gut
- Magical moments with trail angels
- Money/costs and going over budget (£1,500 for 2 months)
- How to connect with Seanna
- Plans for the next few months
- Leaving London and moving to Devon
- Final words of wisdom for women who want to make some changes in their life