After a year of facing her childhood fear of open seas, Lungi wrote her name in history by being the first African female to sail to the Arctic on her recent climate change and plastic pollution expedition to the North Pole.
The 34-year-old’s professional background is in banking but, after taking up sailing in 2016, she's already achieving what most people can only ever dream of.
Lungi shares more about her early life, her passions for sailing, and the environment as well as more about her big dream to sail around the world solo. Lungi has recently completed her Yachtmaster Ocean at the UK Sailing Academy and has shared her story on the TedX stage.
Lungi is inspiring girls to break free from limiting beliefs and pursue their dreams whatever they may be.
You can listen to Lungi on the Tough Girl Podcast - new episodes are every Tuesday at 7am UK time, make sure you hit that subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
- Who is Lungi
- Lungi’s passions and interests
- What life was like growing up
- Her dreams of travelling
- Her passion for climate change and where it came from
- Making a difference in the fight against climate change
- Having a fear of open seas
- What would you do if you weren't’ afraid
- Getting into sailing
- Loving the water
- Making her dream come true
- Having a full time job and trying to fit in sailing
- Being inspired by female sailors
- Finding her tribe in sailing
- Her BIG dream for sailing
- Getting her qualification in sailing
- Being involved in her local community
- Plastic pollution in the seas
- Making a career change from working in banking
- Becoming a full time sailor
- Wanting to sail around the world solo
- Training at the UK Sailing Academy
- Doing a fast track program to get her Yacht Master Qualification
- The next steps & applying for crewing positions
- Having trails with the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race
- Working towards her next goal
- Funding her current lifestyle
- Thoughts and lessons on sustainable living
- The biggest challenge faced over the past few years
- Role models in sailing
- Being inspired by Tracy Edwards
- Advice for girls and women who want to get into sailing
- TedX - The Beauty of the Unknown
- Quick Fire Questions