Liz Thomas is among the most experienced female hikers in the US and is known for backpacking light, fast, and solo.
In 2011, she broke the women’s unsupported speed record on the 2,181-mile long Appalachian Trail, besting the previous record by almost a week. She has completed the Triple Crown of Hiking–the Appalachian Trail, the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail, and the 3,100 mile Continental Divide Trail–and has backpacked over 20,000 miles across the United States on 20 long distance hikes, including the pioneering traverse of the Chinook Trail across the Columbia River Gorge and the pioneering traverse of the Wasatch Range, which she did solo.
Liz is affectionately known as the “Queen of Urban Hiking,” having pioneered and completed routes in 5 cities across the U.S.
- How Liz would explain what she does
- Being passionate about getting people outdoors
- Growing up and being inspired by her teacher
- Starting to go on bigger and bigger hikes!
- The first thru-hike!
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail
- Back packing in the rail!!
- What changed after she walked the Appalachian Trail
- Reaching Mt. Katahdin
- Getting diagnosed with Lyme Disease
- Going through the adventure blues and how she coped with it
- Hiking the PCT and the Continental Divide Trail (10 years ago!).
- The biggest learning from the trail and dealing with the challenging weather conditions
- Advice for other women to get out hiking
- Trail names!!
- Why she got the name Snorkel!
- Let’s talk about gear!
- Treelike Review
- The question she gets asked the most!!
- Where do you get the time and money!
- How she affords to thru hike
- Making the commitment to thru hike
- What is life like on the trail
- Physical training before starting a hike
- The struggle on hikes!
- Sharing on social media
- Book — “Long trails - Mastering The Art of The Thru Hike”
- The idea for urban hiking!
- The challenges of urban hiking….
- How are her feet!
- How urban hiking works…from the route planning and accommodation
- The next hike in New York City and why it’s intimidating!
- Quick Fire Questions!!!
- Final words of advice
Website - www.eathomas.com
Twitter - @EAThomas
Facebook - @LizThomasHiking