Kelly in her own words:
“I’m passionate about the outdoors, it’s a love started from childhood adventure, grew into teenage curiosity, and now is a form of adult stress relief. Fitness for leisure, health, and well-being is more important to me than the competition or the ability to perform well at any one thing. To be, on the go is something I do for me.
My former self trying to be better for my future self. Me vs Me.
I swim in the pool, lakes, and sea, I cycle with TWR, hike with Black Girls Hike and have only started running with Black Trail runners this year.
I try for fun and I try to give my best at each event. I am a beacon of light to get more people into multi-sport events because of representation in the recreational sports and fitness sector.
At school I loved geography, physics, and mathematics. I started working in construction at 14, now having 10 years experience I left my last job as an assistant site manager. I have matured into an enthusiast for the built environment. An inquisitive mind towards, towards all things related to sustainable development.
My undergraduate degree is in Project Management for Construction, my masters in Flood Risk Assessment, Modelling and Engineering and I have full intention to do my PhD in Flood Risk Development and Sustainability.”
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons.
Support the mission to increase the amount of female role models in the media. Visit www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
and subscribe - super quick and easy to do and it makes a massive difference. Thank you.
- Who is Kelly Smith
- Being based in Brighton, UK
- Why adventuring in the outdoors is her passion
- Moving slowly
- Not sleeping well at the moment
- Weighted blanket
- Growing up in London and her early years
- Moving to Brighton at 17 years old
- Getting into the outdoors
- The shift from childhood to adulthood
- Being a weird kid
- Her 16th birthday and walking in the rainforest
- The last day of her A’levels
- Missing the boldness of her youth
- Finding the South Downs and falling in love with the outdoors
- Being a planner
- Getting into sports and fitness
- Joining the cycling community and being encouraged to do a triathlon
- Trying a tri
- Why it’s about how she feels
- Remembering back to her first triathlon
- Being impacted by covid
- How getting outdoors helped with her mental health
- Working with Swim England as an Ambassador
- Going after her Summer Mountain Leader Qualification
- The challenge of getting the training days
- The costs of travelling around the UK
- Navigation skills and learning
- The Kelly Smith Project - 3 Peaks - 3 Isles
- Working in the construction industry for 10 years
- Doing her Masters
- Filming her documentary and the plan
- Taking 3 weeks to film the project
- Being ambitious!
- Doing B roll in February and filming in April
- Connect with Kelly
- Top tips and advice to encourage you to get outside