Jcy is a trail runner, bike traveller, fixed gear rider, bike polo player and Most importantly... An Outdoor lover!
Jcy was born in Hong Kong, she then moved over to the UK where she lived for 22 years. When she was young, Jcy was not into sports or being active, but that all changed when she started getting into cycling and began commuting to and from work.
Jcy moved back to HK in 2016 and continued commuting via bike, she also joined lots of sports clubs to make new friends.
Running was something she’d always hated and tried to avoid. However, after hurting her arm, her only option was to run!
During this episode Jcy shares more about her journey into trail running, how she progressed from running 2.4k to the metro station, to her first 24km trail race, then a 50k race and onto running 100 milers all within 4 years.
Jcy loves the uphill, hates the flats and hates going downhill.
Learn more about her training, her tips for dealing with tough times while out on the trail and why she never gives up, even when she comes in last place.
Jcy will inspire you to give tail running a go, and to step outside your comfort zone.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Make sure you hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons. To find out more about supporting your favourite podcast and becoming a patron please check out www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
- Being born in Hong Kong
- Being rebellious as a teenager and dropping out of sports
- Moving back to Hong Kong in 2012
- Wanting to save money by cycling to work
- Cycling in Hong Kong as a commuter
- Getting comfortable with the traffic
- Joining sports clubs to make friends
- Why the trails are concrete
- Getting introduced to trail running
- Changing from cycling to running
- Her first time running
- Being in so much pain, not being able to walk the next day
- Running her first 24k race
- Getting dressed up for races
- Being a smoker
- Loving the freedom of running
- Having the time to reflect on her life
- 2016 - her first 50k race
- Coming in last place and it taking over 12hrs
- Returning 3 years later and coming in 2nd place
- What changed over the 3 years
- Quitting smoking
- Running her first 100k
- Happy food
- Recovery after a big race
- Being humbled by a challenging 100k race which took over 24hrs
- Dealing with heatstroke in her first year of running
- Having 3 goals with regards to a finish time
- Working with a running coach in 2019
- What a typical training week looks like
- Getting up at 5/5.30 am to go training
- Running the same route over and over again
- Hating running downhill
- Managing the fear of running downhill
- Learning house dance
- The 9 Dragons Ultra Race HK
- Being inspired by Magdalena Lewy-Boulet
- How to follow Jcy online
- Final words of advice for other women who want to get into trail running
- Go out and enjoy the nature!