Jai Bharathi, an avid women motorcyclist, who co-founded the Hyderabad chapter of ‘The Bikerni’ an all-women motorcycle club in 2013. Jai has led motorcycle expeditions to Ladakh, Kanyakumari to Kashmir, cross-country expedition across six nations covering 17,000 kms & Wheels of Will motorcycle expedition covering 10,800 miles across the United States.
Jai’s passion for travel took her to visit all the UNESCO world heritage sites in India in 2012 and the first winner of GoUnesco travel challenge.
Over the last decade, Jai has worked with several NGO’s in the fields of women's empowerment, children education, solar lighting & relief works during natural disasters.
Jai has authored a book about organising & leading all women cross country motorcycle expedition.
Jai is now on her entrepreneurial journey with MOWO Social Initiatives which aims to see more number of women in the mobility sector.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Make sure you hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons. To find out more about supporting your favourite podcast and becoming a patron please check out www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
- Who is Jai
- Growing up in the early 80s
- Being involved in ‘The Bikerni’ an all-women motorcycle club
- Falling in love with 2 wheels
- Learning how to ride a motorbike in the streets
- Working as an architect
- Wanting more passion in her life
- Realising that she wanted to travel more
- 2012 Go UNESCO Travel Challenge
- Visiting all 28 UNESCO sites in India
- Visiting Turkey in 2013 and visiting UNESCO sites
- Having 2 siblings
- Being inspired to ride around East Asia on a motorbike
- Wanting to inspire others to ride bikes
- Riding from the northern tip of India to the southern tip of India
- Wondering how she can give back and inspire the rest of the community
- Starting her journey as a social entrepreneur
- MOWO - MOving WOmen
- Writing a book about her experiences
- Travelling in India
- What UNESCO is
- Getting the opportunity and making it a reality
- Taking 8 months to plan the trip
- Documenting the journey
- Being in a leadership position
- Taking the first step
- Feeling safe while riding a motorcycle
- Not riding in the dark
- Breaking stereotypes
- Inspiring women
- Encouraging women to work as tour guides
- Heading over to the USA
- Losing sponsorship the day before the flight
- Going to the USA with $100 in her pocket
- Riding 11,000 miles across the USA in 35 days
- Final words of advice to motivate and inspire you
Link to the book:
Links to our social media handles: