Annijke (she/her) is a new adaptive mountain biker and athlete.
In 2021, Annijke sustained a spinal cord injury in a horrible downhill mountain biking accident.
In 2022, Annijke is back to sport and is learning how to live as a full time wheelchair user.
Outside of loving mountain biking and being outdoors, Annijke also is passionate about making the outdoors and mountain biking a safe space for all.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Subscribe so you don’t miss out.
- Who is Annijke
- Starting mountain biking in 2019
- Learning how to live as a full time wheelchair user
- Returning to sport and mountain biking
- What Annijke was like as little girl
- Starting ballet at 3 years old
- Having a keen interest for the arts
- Starting to interact with the natural world
- Being exposed to the outdoors through her Girl Scouts Troop
- Being adopted at 2 months old
- Going to college and taking a step back from dance
- Wanting to try new things in the outdoors
- Studying environmental studies with a concentration on political science
- Getting into mountain biking
- Moving to Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Buying her first bike - DiamondBack HardTail
- Being intimidated by other mountain bikers
- Falling in love with the sport and why she loves it
- Enjoying the community and being supported
- Riding a BowHead Reach Bike - full suspension, all-electric off-road adaptive trike that has two wheels in front, and one in back
- 2022 - Getting back to sport and why it’s been so fulfilling
- The incredible amount of support through her community
- Being a sponsored Athlete - with PEARL iZUMi
- High Fives Foundation
- Kootenay Adaptive Sport Association Adaptive Mountain Biking advocacy, trails, programming and rentals in British Columbia and beyond.
- Bike Instructor Certification Program (BICP)
- What does advocacy look like in this space
- Being intentional about what she does
- “I want to be on an adaptive mountain bike and this is what I want my life to look like”
- Going after a Para FKT on the White Rim Trail in Oct 2022
- Josie Fouts - Mad scientist on a mission to single-handedly save the world with cycling! IG: @ms.stubbornness
- National Abilities Centre
- Outride Foundation
- 100 mile desert ride in Canyonlands, National Park, Moab, Utah.
- Trying not to get too attached to the outcome
- Dealing with mechanical issues
- Broadening the conversation about access and opportunity in the outdoors
- Tread Setters is a film project that highlights 5 para-cyclists riding the White Rim Trail while balancing the mental, emotional and social aspects of advocacy.
- Is the White Rim Trail Accessible? Why it’s yes and no.
- Needing people to support her due to the nature of the trail and the remoteness
- Why being outdoors might look a little bit different
- Wanting to become an Adaptive Mountain Biking Coach - (BICP)
- Adaptive Level 1 Fundamental Skills Instructor
- Wanting to share mountain biking with others and create a welcoming environment
- Plans for 2023
- Sea Otter Classic Mountain Biking Race, Monterey, California, USA
- Connect with Annijke
- Where does her Instagram handle come from
- What is a Geospatial Professional?
- Final words of advice and wisdom