Minnesota native. Earned a teaching degree from the University of Oregon and taught a short few years before joining a team to dogsled to the North Pole.
As first known woman to travel across the ice to the top of the world, I made a promise to not only follow my dreams but create something bigger than my own personal ambitions.
All my expeditions since have education with them - thus inspiring millions of kids. One focus always is helping girls and women find their voice and potential in whatever they do.
This theme traveled as I became first women to ski to both poles, lead the first all women's expedition to the South Pole in 1992/93 - Lead a team of all women across Greenland 1992 and later cross Antarctica with Liv Arnesen. 2000/01. Many wonderful trips in between on rock and snow, or on water - frozen and liquid.
I started the Ann Bancroft Foundation in Minnesota that gives small monetary grants to girls to try an experience to find courage to find their way in the world as strong and confident and engaged humans.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons.
Support the mission to increase the amount of female role models in the media. Visit www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
and subscribe - super quick and easy to do and it makes a massive difference. Thank you.
- Who is Ann
- Going to college to become a teacher
- Following her childhood dream
- 65, years young
- Spending the past 20+ years working with Liv Arnesen
- Feeling very blessed about her life
- How her life diverted and changed into the adventure and expedition world at 29 years old
- Wanting to go to the South Pole
- How the opportunity came about
- Finding herself on the team and how it changed her life
- Why you have to just go for it
- Lessons learned from the South Pole
- The moments of truth
- Her love of long expeditions
- How have polar expeditions changed over the years
- Wanting to do something for women and girls
- Being a teacher outside of the classroom
- Do challenges get easier….
- Why you can not short cut preparation
- Going back to focus on the basics
- Dealing with setbacks and failure
- Why it takes courage to put yourself out there
- Being able to learn from past mistakes
- Wanting to cross all of Antarctica in 1992
- Having no money and no sponsors
- What is the legacy they wanted to leave behind
- Making the most painful decision in her life
- Connecting with Liv Arnesen
- Tent life….
- Focusing on raising the voices of girls and women
- Bancroft Arnesen Explore - Access Water
- The next challenge on the Mississippi
- Quick Fire Questions
- Honesty - Integrity - Courage
- Final words of advise for women and girls who want to divert to a different path
- “I can because she did”
- The power of living your potential.
The Ann Bancroft Foundation empowers girls to imagine something bigger through grants, mentorship, and ongoing development opportunities. The Ann Bancroft Foundation is giving Minnesota girls the strength to achieve their full potential.