Neruja shares more about her Tamil culture and her experiences with the outdoors. How she went from someone who didn’t like being outside and never spending any time outdoors to becoming a passionate outdoor adventurer, hiker and climber.
Neruja shares more about her gap year and spending time in Borneo, Australia and New Zealand and what it was like moving from the hustle and bustle of London to the Lake District.
Neruja is passionate about diversifying the outdoors and pushing the importance of representation.
In April 2020 she started her Instagram page @so_little_a_time to inspire others like her to adventure in the outdoors.
“Hiking can feel never ending, runs can feel relentless and climbing can feel impossible. And yet these are activities I keep going back to. What I’ve realised though... it’s not the discomfort that makes these activities difficult for me but actually my fear of failing. After all it is much easier to put it down to not liking discomfort than admit I might fail.”
“My biggest enemy is myself. Giving myself a hard time actually stops me from being the best version of me. So currently I’m on a journey where I embrace the failures and remind myself that at the end of the day I really love doing these things!"
"There are times when your mission is clear. You can see it and are overwhelmed by the long journey ahead of you, but what keeps you going? Sometimes it can be as simple as wanting to witness and celebrate the beauty of success at the finish line and to look back at the hard but rewarding journey you have gone through.”
“These journeys may not be easy but personal growth during these times, no matter how you do it and how far you get, are almost certain. Every experience makes you grow.”
You can listen to Neruja share her story on the Tough Girl Podcast. New episodes go live every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Make sure you hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons. To find out more about becoming a patron please check out www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
- Who is Neruja
- What being Tamil means
- Family expectations on her upbringing and what she will do
- Not being encouraged to spend time outdoors when she was younger
- Not being able to speak English when she moved to the UK
- Moving to the Lake District from London
- Going walking for the first time
- Deciding to have a year out in 2013
- Being a volunteer in Borneo with Raleigh International
- Living out of a rucksack
- Spending time in Australia and being ready for anything
- Going around New Zealand in a camper van
- Getting into the outdoors with her husband
- How spending time in Borneo solo changed her
- Being uncomfortable in that environment
- Magical moments in Australia
- Spending time in Sydney and doing house/dog sitting
- Doing a bungee jump and jumping when she was ready
- Moving back to the Lake District and hiking all the time
- Lessons from the Tour de Mont Blanc hike
- Planning and preparation for the 11 day hike
- Meeting like minded people
- A typical day in the mountains
- Getting through the tough moments
- Starting her Instagram account - @so_little_a_time
- Why your holidays don’t just have to be sitting on a beach
- Advice for other women who want to get outdoors more
- Try everything once