Following the breakdown of her marriage and at the age of 48 in 1998 Jacqui decides to leave her job in health visiting and set off on a years adventure, alone backpacking in South East Asia.
This was to be the beginning of a journey that left conformity a distant memory. Finding herself bitten by the travel bug she then set off again, at the age of 50 with the Dutch Man this time combining her love of travel with her other passion … motorcycling.
During this podcast Jacqui share stories from her 7 years on the road, where she visited 20 countries with no plan. Jacqui speaks with warmth and an openness, sharing the mishaps, the mistakes, the broken leg, the food, and how she dealt with storms, castaways and pirates!
- Currently living in Tasmania, Australia
- Heading off to go backpacking at 48
- Having her marriage breakdown
- Liking travelling and meeting awesome people
- Meeting the Dutch man
- Deciding to buy a motorcycle to travel around the world
- Deciding to travel solo
- Reactions of friends and family when she headed off to go travelling at 48
- Wanting to get away from it all
- The plan for her year off
- Never being on her own before
- Staying in a hotel for 3 days and crying
- Learning who she was
- Wanting to slow down and to go at her own pace
- Being frugal and managing a budget while travelling
- Making mistakes and being wrong
- How her confidence has grown over the years
- Being a people pleaser and wanting to change that
- Heading back to the UK after her first gap year and seeing that nothing had changed
- Deciding not to go back to her old job as a health visitor
- The return of the Dutch man!
- Moving back in with her mum
- Deciding to buy her own motorbike
- Riding with a partner throughout India
- Riding from India into Nepal, then spending time in Pakistan
- Breaking her leg
- Getting back on the bike after the crash
- Why she loves Australia
- Dealing with pirates, storms and castaways!
- Sailing with interesting characters….
- 7 years of travelling and being on the road
- Travelling with guilt
- Taking another 7 years to write a book
- The difficulties of heading home
- Doing an A’level in history
- The next part of the journey
- Plans for 2019 - “Plan what plan?!”
- Advice for going with the flow and why you have to want to
Website - www.jacquifurneaux.com/
Facebook - @JacquiFurneauxTravels
Instagram - @JacquiFurneaux
"I have found that all I need in life is the right attitude. And what can be comfortably carried on an Enfield."