Donna (@fitfetishtri) 52, mother of one (27yrs). Recently completed Ironman Barcelona (Oct 3rd 2021) her first full distance endurance triathlon after being inspired to sign up by 10 Ironwomen, a group who are working to increase female participation in Ironman races.
Donna was one of 194 women that took part in the event out of 1500 athletes.
It was only her third triathlon event, she had also never run a marathon before.
Learn more about Donna, her early years, her reasons for wanting to do an Ironman, her training, journey to the start line, lessons from the race as well as advice and tips to help you take on your next challenge.
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday 7am UK time - Subscribe so you don’t miss out!
- Who is Donna
- Growing up in London
- Always enjoy reading as a kid
- Starting to think about her future career
- Acquiring a journalism degree
- Getting into fitness in her early 20s
- Having no interest in running a marathon
- Signing up for her first triathlon at 46
- Aiming to always be fit
- Riding and owning three bikes in her teenage years
- More details about Ironman training
- Doing online workouts and keeping herself positive to stay fit
- Getting into the details about Ironman
- Being inspired by 10IronWomen @10ironwomen
- Signing up for Ironman Barcelona 2020 at the age of 50
- Representing and encouraging women of colour
- Her main concerns about the challenge
- What is it like to be part of 10IronWomen
- Becoming more driven by achieving the goal
- Forming a training plan with the help of the book Be IronFit
- More information on her preparation and training
- Not wanting to skip a session
- Personal challenges associated with menopause
- Listening to podcasts to keep herself mentally healthy
- Working on strengthening her mindset
- Dealing with anxiety when in Barcelona
- What it was like prior to the event
- Being determined to complete the challenge
- Looking back to when she was out on the course
- Biggest challenges she experienced throughout the Ironman
- Her reaction when she crossed the finish line
- Wanting to do more cycling challenges
- Planning to sign up for another 10IronWomen event in Barcelona in 2023
- Other future challenges she wants to take on
- The story behind her name "The Iron Empress"
- Final words of advice
- "Signing up for Ironman and pushing myself to the limit physically, has really shown me that I am capable of so much more."
10 Iron Women - Striving for a 50:50 Gender Split in an Ironman Event
Follow us as we inspire more women to take on the unthinkable, and our goal of a 50/50 gender split in an Ironman event in 2023