Catherine Mayer was born in the US and has spent much of her life in London. She is a former Europe Editor and Editor at Large of TIME magazine and the author of Amortality: The Pleasures and Perils of Living Agelessly and the Sunday Times bestselling biography of Prince Charles Charles: The Heart of a King. In 2015 she co-founded the Women’s Equality Party with Sandi Toksvig.
On the 8th March - International Women’s Day she releases her third book - Attack of the fifty foot women: How gender Equality can save the world!
- Her career and how it has been done accidentally!
- Falling into journalism, via a cash in hand job in the marketing department at The Economist before moving over to the editorial side.
- Spending 11 years at TIME Magazine before starting the Women’s Equality Party
- Being born in America before moving over to the UK
- Being a foreign correspondent while based from home in London
- Her start in journalism and the challenges she faced in the early eighties
- How she survived and managed to make a career from it
- Getting by, by becoming “one of the boys”
- Why she came more politicised
- Working in a culture of conformity in order to get ahead and why we need to change the whole culture
- How the Women’s Equality Party came about
- WOW - The Women of the World Festival
- How a small party can make fundamental change and how UKIP proved that
- What it was like taking this idea for WE to the next stage
- How ignorance was bliss and also very helpful when setting up WE!
- How the initial interest on social media led to more than 250 people turning up to the first meeting
- What Catherine has learned from going through this whole experience
- Where the idea for her third book came from - Attack of the fifty foot women: How gender Equality can save the world!
- Being an internationalist in outlook and how what happens in one country does impact on what happens in another
- Going through the process of writing the book and why she loves the research
- Being a tough girl when it comes to writing, no rest, no days off, starting at five in the morning, a short break in the afternoon and then more writing
- Iceland & how women stopping work changed the direction of gender equality for the whole country
- Why the WE party are organising a women’s day off in 2018
- Why 2018 is going to be a special year for women
- Starting my Masters in Women & Gender at Lancaster University in 2017 and graduating in 2018 (everything happens for a reason!)
- The stand out interviews from the book
- Her plans for the year ahead, including her UK Book tour!
- How Donald Trump has helped women in one way…
- Final words of advice, why this is a time for ACTION and why you should join the Women’s Equality Party.
Catherine is on twitter
You can visit her website --> here!
WIN a copy of Catherine Book - Become a Patron and your name will be entered into a draw at the end of March! We have 3 books to give away - you can become a patron from $2 per month! Support the Tough Girl Podcast and help increase the amount of female role models in the media.