An Explorer in her own right, Belinda has walked across Nicaragua, searched for camels in China's Desert of Death, discovered ancient rock paintings in Lesotho, pioneered inclusive expeditions for people with disabilities, lead dozens of youth development expeditions around the world and gained a Guinness World Record for rowing unsupported around Britain.
An expert expedition leader and Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, Belinda has managed remote trips for, amongst others Ray Mears, Chris Ryan & Bear Grylls.
Belinda launched Explorers Connect
, a non-profit organisation connecting people to adventures in 2009. Over 13 years later she has encouraged over 30,000+ ordinary people to discover a world of outdoor challenges and established Britain's National Night of Adventure
For the past twenty-five years, Belinda Kirk's professional life has revolved around adventure. She's seen it change people first hand: turning the timid into the confident, the addicted into the recovering, and the lost into the intentionally wandering. As a force for change, adventure can be powerful like few others.
About the book: Adventure Revolution: The life-changing power of choosing challenge
This book is about this transformational power, and the first to explore why adventure is essential to our wellbeing.
From managing anxiety and overcoming fear, to finding self-worth and building interpersonal connections, to being happier, healthier, and more playful, ADVENTURE REVOLUTION draws lessons from more than two decades of experience leading groups into the wilderness around the globe.
Illuminated with Belinda's personal narrative, her own research with modern hunter-gatherers, and the latest findings in neuroscience and behaviour, ADVENTURE REVOLUTION presents a compelling case for ditching the living room in favour of a longer, happier, and more adventurous life.
"I believe adventure is a necessity of the human spirit. The modern world has become too easy, too averse to challenge. This is having a negative effect on our physical and mental health. We need a revolution, to learn how to live adventurously”
New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday and Thursday at 7am UK time - Make sure you hit the subscribe button so you don’t miss out.
The Tough Girl Podcast is sponsorship and ad free thanks to the monthly financial support of patrons. To find out more about supporting your favourite podcast and becoming a patron please check out www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast
- Living in Exmoor with her son and partner
- Her passion and love for adventure
- Wanting to rebrand adventure
- Speaking to Belinda on the Tough Girl Podcast in July 2016
- The big changes over the past few years..
- Having a baby and finding a different way of living
- Lockdown and having the chance to stop
- Finishing her book after 7 years of researching and writing
- How having a baby has impacted her views on adventure
- Dealing with sleep deprivation and how her life has changed since
- Having a new opportunity to live differently
- Being in survival mode for the first few months and years
- Wanting to take her son on adventures
- Taking her son, Jackson on a Kayak
- How adventure changed her at 18 and impacted on other areas of her life
- Why adventure is so essential for us
- Sharing stories of transformation
- Wanting to understand the WHY
- Wanting to effect public policy
- The Adventure Effect
- Why adventure matters
- The story of Alice
- The multiple benefits of adventure
- How adventure can change your life
- What else are we able to do…
- Stretching and growing as people
- The story of Sam
- Surfing as Therapy
- The Wave Project
- The power of small adventures
- The Adventure Mind Conference held in Feb 2020 - to explore the benefits of adventure on well-being
- How adventure can be implemented in societies and our everyday lives
- How adventures helps us to be the best we can be
- Wanting to see adventure and outdoor education back in schools
- Wanting to see more Doctors prescribing adventure
- How to connect with Belinda and get copies of her new book
- Hoping to go on a big family adventure to Canada
: A not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping people to live more adventurously. Join 30,000+ like-minded adventurers for unique adventure opportunities
Belinda’s Personal Social Media
Previous Tough Girl Podcast Interview: 5th July 2016