Alex first came on the Tough Girl Podcast in October 2017 to share more about her life, from going from a 9 - 5 office job working as a graphic designer to leaving it all behind to go travelling and go on adventures. On the first episode, Alex shared more about her transition back in 2015, her north and south bound hike of the Pacific Crest Trail, plus other adventures.
During this podcast we catch up with Alex who in 2018 completed the Appalachian Trail! Alex shares more about the journey, the high points and the challenges, as well as the mental and physical aspects. Alex shares more about how she recovered from the adventure blues, and what her next challenge is going to be, we talk in detail about the money and what’s going to be happening over the next 12 months to make it happen.
It’s been fantastic to catch up with Alex and to share more about what she’s been achieving in the world of adventure and challenge!
- Being on the road for 18 months and wanting to come home
- Heading back home and catching up with friends and family
- Coming home and surprising her parents!
- Wanting to go travelling again….
- Trying to decided what to do next
- Deciding to go and hike the Appalachian Trail!
- How she Alex decides what to do next
- Comfort zone?
- Knowing she can deal with the mental and physical challenge
- Expectations for the Appalachian Trail
- Starting the trail… ‘brutal start’
- Trail family….
- The biggest challenge on the Appalachian Trail
- Dealing with time pressure
- The mental side of the challenge
- The memories and the moments which stand out
- Seeing a Moose!
- Finishing the trail on the 31st August (115 days!)
- Getting back to England!
- The cure for the post adventure blues
- Being so tired for 3 months after the trail
- Feeling so much better and getting ready for the next challenge!
- Wanting to row an ocean!
- Searching for the cause of Parkinson's
- 2 oceans in 1 year!
- Being taken out of her comfort zone….
- The make up of the rowing crews
- Needing a year to get to the start line of the Atlantic challenge
- The money!
- £85k for both oceans….
- Start date - January 4th 2020
- Going for a World Record!
- Quick Fire Questions
Facebook - @alexmasonadventurer